So the Emmys were last night, and anyone who knows me, knows how much I love a good awards show! I really only watch the awards shows for TV and movies, and seeing as I just love me some TV, the Emmys is pretty much my favorite one!
The Emmys always seem to remind me of the shows I need to catch up on or start watching, so I thought I would share a couple things: shows on our “to watch” list that are not new (that we are either behind on or haven’t started yet), and some shows our “to watch” list that are new for fall!
Good TV we aren’t watching (or are behind on):
- The Americans (FX) – We’ve watched a few seasons of this, then it got really heavy and Jeff and I needed a break with something lighter, so we’re definitely behind on this. Seeing Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys at the Emmys reminded me we need to start this back up!
- Veep (HBO) – I love this show, guys! It is hysterical! I’m not really into political shows, but because this one is a comedy, it is just amazing. Plus, I’m a little in love with Julia Louis-Dreyfus! This is what we switched to when we stopped The Americans, but we’re still a season behind on this one too.
- American Crime (ABC) – I watched the first season when I was on maternity leave with Asher, but forget to watch the second season. I’m really loving these anthology series, where the plot is completely different from season to season but they use the same actors to play different characters.
- The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) – I have to admit, I’ve been intrigued by this, but since we don’t have cable I didn’t have a way to watch it without buying the episodes. Between the plot being the real life case of O.J. Simpson, plus since it’s another anthology show from Ryan Murphy (of American Horror Story), that was more than enough for me to add this to the “to watch” list. Also, it looks like it has received great reviews, not to mention all the awards it picked up last night. But I do know several people who watched this and weren’t impressed. Oh well – I will probably still watch it, just so I can make an opinion of my own. 🙂
- Master of None (Netflix) – I watched the first episode and never watched again. Sometimes I have to be in the right mood for a certain show. Usually any time is a good time for a comedy, but I wasn’t feeling this when I first started. I know so many people that love it though, I really have to go back and try again!
New fall TV on the “To Watch” list:
- This is Us (NBC) – It had me Milo Ventimiglia (as in, Jess from Gilmore Girls). 😉 No seriously, when TV Guide said this would fill the Parenthood hole in my heart, I was sold. It premieres this week Tuesday, 9/20 at 10pm Eastern on NBC!
- Speechless (ABC) – A family comedy where one of the children has cerebral palsy. Minnie Driver was cast as the overprotective mama bear, which seems like a great casting choice! Plus I love the idea of more diversity on shows by including a family member with CP. Premieres this Wednesday, 9/21 at 8:30pm Eastern on ABC.
- Designated Survivor (ABC) – I’m not always a fan of political dramas and whatnot (not sure why, just not my thing I guess), but this one has me intrigued. Who knows though? That could change after a while as sometimes my interest in show can peter out! ha! Premieres this week Wednesday, 9/21 at 10pm Eastern on ABC.
- Notorious (ABC) – Another one I may change my mind about but I’m willing to give a shot, since they compared Piper Perabo’s character to Olivia Pope (of Scandal). I don’t watch Scandal but I’ve been kicking myself for not starting it. It may be one to add the list of Good TV we aren’t Watching! Ha! Premieres this week Thursday, 9/22 at 9pm Eastern on ABC.
- The Good Place (NBC) – Kristen Bell? Ted Danson? Yes, please! The premise sounds a bit weird to me (a woman in the afterlife looking to make amends for past wrongdoings), as in, how are they going to stretch this out over multiple seasons? But if it has Kristen Bell, I’m willing to watch pretty much anything (at least a few episodes! Ha!). Premieres TONIGHT, 9/19 at 10pm Eastern on NBC!
Want to know when your favorite shows are coming back? Or when other new shows are premiering? TV Guide has an excellent fall premieres calendar that you can view here. Makes it so much easier to keep track! 🙂
Now if anyone needs me, I’ll be binge-watching some Veep! 😉